FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Engine selection: Remanufactured? or Rebuilt? Who does it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron Hallmark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:12 am    Post subject: Engine selection: Remanufactured? or Rebuilt? Who does it? Reply with quote

My '79 M-5-235C continues to run well, and it's great to fly, but with 2015 hrs, and the fact that it is now using oil at 0.75 qt/hr, which is the maximum allowable using Lycoming's written information for the 0-540-J1A5D, I would like to start getting some knowledge. If I could afford it I would like to get a "zero time" engine, and have the shop remove the core and install the replacement. Heck, I have not even put in ADS-B out yet, so, there will be spending $ ahead. I would like for everyone who has any knowledge about TBO, how far you can go? what signs predict catastrophe? etc, to respond to this post. Plus, I would like to know what shop to go to, who to talk to, etc. Again, any thoughts would be helpful.
Thanks in advance..............Ron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tellicovillage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very happy so far with my Lycoming Factory overhauled engine. I cannot confirm this but the rep told me they trash all the engine cases turned in because they don't work with the new roller lifters. So supposedly you get a new case and roller lifters out of the deal. Sure looked new when i got it and 55 hrs in I am pleased!
bobguhr
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Aviation overhauled my J1A5D https://www.victor-aviation.com/ . The engine had 250hrs SMOH when I bought the plane but it had sat for 5 years. I got about 350hrs out of it before it started making metal, so I can't speak to TBO. Victor offers different levels of overhaul, they explain the options on their website. I went ahead and had them overhaul mine as an XR Black Edition VII. To date I've put about 8hrs on the engine and it runs extremely smooth, has excellent power and looks great with a black heat emissive ceramic coating they applied. The warranty is 60 months or listed TBO. Victor aviation sent photos of all the components that were in need of replacement and kept in contact to avoid surprises, so far they have delivered as promised, John Pava is who I dealt with. If you find yourself anywhere near N72, Warwick, NY I'd be happy to give you a show and tell.
Ron Hallmark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your info. I will be looking into Victor Aviation. Hoping to get a few more months of flying before the big deal takes place. Thanks again, Ron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gdflys
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through an almost identical ordeal as Bob. Less than 300 since overhaul but sat for 6 years. Ran it for a little more than 100 hours before it started making metal. I had mine overhauled at Poplar Grove.

As long as yours isn't making metal, the compressions are ok, and the oil use stays reasonable you can continue to run the motor. I'd check for any large oil leaks to rule that out in the oil burn rate too. If there are no leaks then sooner or later you will need to at least top overhaul it. I don't think that would make much sense at the hours on the bottom end.
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA
Ron Hallmark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greg for the message. I am going to keep my fingers crossed. Right now there is very little metal in the oil filter folds, and there are no leaks to speak of, so if the oil usage stays at the level it is, even though that seems high, Lycoming says it's acceptable. I will be getting another oil analysis in a few days, so I will have something else to chew on then. Thanks, Ron
VA Maule
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the oil analysis keep in mind it's best for tracking trends. Provides little if any insight as a spot or individual check. As long as the engine is run often and behaving consistently I'd fly until it gives reason not to trust it.
Rezrider
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine selection: Remanufactured? or Rebuilt? Who does Reply with quote

I have the same engine as Ron. It has 2300 hours on it since new and is running well. If the compressions are good and the oil samples come back good then I'll keep going for now.
But, I'm wanting to do an overhaul within the next two years. I need to get funding in place!

Ron Hallmark wrote:
My '79 M-5-235C continues to run well, and it's great to fly, but with 2015 hrs, and the fact that it is now using oil at 0.75 qt/hr, which is the maximum allowable using Lycoming's written information for the 0-540-J1A5D, I would like to start getting some knowledge. If I could afford it I would like to get a "zero time" engine, and have the shop remove the core and install the replacement. Heck, I have not even put in ADS-B out yet, so, there will be spending $ ahead. I would like for everyone who has any knowledge about TBO, how far you can go? what signs predict catastrophe? etc, to respond to this post. Plus, I would like to know what shop to go to, who to talk to, etc. Again, any thoughts would be helpful.
Thanks in advance..............Ron

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: