FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Skybeacon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mog
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.45hrs and I will have a mock-up to try on my M4. I drew it per the Uavionix PDF. It’s not 100% perfect, but it will be more than close enough to make sure it fits.

Akafrank

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure once you try to put it in, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

Ralph
Mog
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score 1 for the M4 models!!

I handed the mock-up off to Andrew who has an M5. He will try to test fit tomorrow.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know where I can find the 6 digit ICAO numbe Reply with quote

Stinger wrote:
Christine wrote:
Unfortunately I bought my Skybeacon the day after the rebates ran out....Now I am hoping for an expired rebate to become avialbel and am installing my skybeacon.
Does anyone know where I can find the 6 digit ICAO number of a MX-7-180?
I am filling in the paperwork for my mechanic.
Thanks

FAA N-Number registry for your airplane. It should be the Mode S code in hexadecimal.

I didn’t initially see what was meant by this answer, so I’ll re-state in case others are as slow as I am. Wink

Go to the FAA N-number registry online, and put in your N number. It’s one of the pieces of information on that page.
Akafrank

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm jealous, yes, score one for the M-4!

I'll be waiting for the mockup to be tried in an M-5. The tail beacon is an excellent solution so I'm not giving up yet.

Ralph
akafrank
Mog
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a 1979 M5.

Akafrank

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that sound you hear is me scratching my head. That is exactly what my installation looks like. I even scaled your picture and the opening is what I have. The distance between screws is 1.787, the unit needs 1.142 to slide in. The unit can't possibility fit because the opening scales about 1 inch.

My wooden mockup won't fit. I'm doing something wrong. Would you measure your vertical opening for me please?

Thanks,

Ralph
akafrank
Mog
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The opening in the mounting plate for the Beacon is 1.142”. But the Beacon itself is right at or just under 1” I believe. But I would need to verify on my cad file. I will also go grab the mock-up and measure. It came out fractionally bigger though when I printed it.
Mog
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is as I drew and printed. My printer reliably prints to scale and has mocked up plenty of engine parts. So...I’m not sure where the discrepancy lies.

Akafrank

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1.13 dimension is the problem. By all means, keep us posted, you've got my hopes up.

Ralph
akafrank
Mog
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.142 is the opening in the plate, the Beacon itself is slightly smaller. My mock-up easily fit with some slip in the M4. I did no personally fit the M5 example. He did say he started fitting it sideways at first because of this thread (thinking it wouldn’t fit). But he found it went in easily in any direction. I will ask him if it was a sloppy fit or tight.
AndrewK
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mog wrote:
1.142 is the opening in the plate, the Beacon itself is slightly smaller. My mock-up easily fit with some slip in the M4. I did no personally fit the M5 example. He did say he started fitting it sideways at first because of this thread (thinking it wouldn’t fit). But he found it went in easily in any direction. I will ask him if it was a sloppy fit or tight.

It was snug and there wasn't much if any play but I did not have to force it. It was just a very slight interference fit and may have been due to some of the fabric wrapped around the top of the hole which gave a little as I slid the unit in.
Akafrank

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just talked at length to the manufacturer and although he didn't have a unit to measure, he did say the light it replaces is 1.06 +/-.03 so it should fit as it cannot be larger then the existing nav light. Why the drawing scales different, no one knows.

TSO is taking forever, just because, they are not happy about how long the FAA is taking.

One interesting thing, you cannot rely on the rudder hinges for a ground, the unit will not work. You must go back to a hard frame ground. That means getting a wire thru the rudder into the fuselage. Let the fun begin!

I'm still having some tapered spacers made and if necessary will gladly share the CAD drawing.

Ralph
akafrank
Mog
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the measurement you are quoting is for the mounting flange not the actual unit that slips into the rudder. The Beacon unit is two piece, not one as I printed. The Beacon itself could not be the same size as the hole in the mounting flange 1.142”. At no point in time did I see a measurement for the actual Beacon itself and the number I used was a guesstimate based on the drawing provided by Uavionix.
Rezrider
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it sound like they will get approval for the M-5?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: