FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Stratus Power and Scott Tailwheel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Gizmos for your Maule (and you)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Stratus Power and Scott Tailwheel Reply with quote

Got my Maule prepped for a pair of Stratus Power today so I can stay in touch with civilization and satellites without worry about my device batteries going belly up when I most desire them to be working. The factory was kind enough to leave me one spot on the buss bar for a circuit breaker. Came home afterward and got the wiring harness ready for them (all two wires of it). Photo shows the right one, but there’s one on the left side, too, that I put in an empty 2.5” instrument hole.

Also changed out my Maule tailwheel with a Scott 3200 with TrickAir tail ski. Now I’m ready to get out in some deeper snow, too. Kingpin angle is perfect, and ATC let me do a high speed taxi test down the active. No shimmy at all, and way more responsive than the Maule tailwheel. Seems like a half dozen orders to Aircraft Spruce for this one when every bolt was too short, as were the spring chains. All better now.

Tomorrow I’ll get the USB ports wired to the CB and be in business.
Stinger
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours doesn't have a 12V DC power outlet on the copilot side to the right of the circuit breakers?
Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does. My iFly 720 is plugged into it. It’s got a 90° plug and clears the yoke just fine. But several other adapters I’ve tried interfere with the yoke’s full travel and vice versa. That, and if I have a USB adapter plugged into the lighter, I can’t plug in anything else.

So this will allow me to keep mobile devices charged and still have that power outlet available if needed.
Stinger
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris in Milwaukee wrote:
It does. My iFly 720 is plugged into it. It’s got a 90° plug and clears the yoke just fine. But several other adapters I’ve tried interfere with the yoke’s full travel and vice versa. That, and if I have a USB adapter plugged into the lighter, I can’t plug in anything else.

So this will allow me to keep mobile devices charged and still have that power outlet available if needed.

I picked up a lighter plug to USB adapter a while ago and I haven't noticed any yoke interference yet. It's got 4 USB plugs on it. Two of them are 2.1amp, and the other two are 1amp.
I've only used the 2.1amp slots and it'll keep the phone charged, but not always the ipad depending on the settings.

May have been because the wire that puts power to the DC plug disconnected totally a while ago and I didn't discover it right away. So it may have been intermittent too. I plugged it back in behind the DC plug and squeezed it tight, so hopefully there's no more issues.
Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, didn’t know they made them with that many outlets on them. I have one in my truck that has a pair of 90° outlets on it that is handy. I could use that. But then I can’t use the iFly and charge my phone at the same time. That said, a second lighter plug would have been cheaper! :j

As a side note, each outlet in this device is 2.5A.
Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned a valuable lesson with this device. Where I mounted it, there was a convenient grounding point nearby. It looks like perhaps the panel light dimmer is grounded on a machine screw in the bottom edge of the panel, so I used it. Everything powered up fine, and it would charge smaller devices like my iPhone or iPad Mini. But it wouldn’t charge my iPad Pro. It’s a larger device with higher charge current requirements. The Stratus Power has
more than enough oomph to charge it, but it wasn’t happening.

Turns out the panel ground is insufficient for this device. I ran new wires to airframe ground on the firewall. Everything works great now.

Keep that one on your back pocket Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Gizmos for your Maule (and you) All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: