FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Northeast Washington/North Idaho: Where to go Tomorrow?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Airports, Airparks and Flying Destinations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy Young
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Northeast Washington/North Idaho: Where to go Tomorrow? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm in Spokane for a visit, and wanted to take my friend out for a fun flight this weekend. Somewhere beautiful, hopefully with some hiking. I had thought Idaho backcountry, like Fish Lake, Moose Lake, or maybe Snake River area. However, weather looks poor in that area tomorrow. Also thought about going to look at my land in Mazama, but weather looks less than stellar that way tomorrow too. It's going to be nice up around Priest Lake area and other places north and northeast of Spokane. Sullivan Lake, Washington is another one that looks like an option.

Was just wondering if any of you familiar with the area know of any great spots I hadn't thought of, given the weather constrictions.

Thanks!
super-maule

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Snow at higher elevations Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm in Spokane this week, but will be flying my Maule back to Clear Creek International located in N. Central Idaho tomorrow morning. Anyway the snow level is down to about 5,500 to 6,000 feet right now. Fish Lake would be a no-go. Went chucker hunting in Hells Canyon last week and it was windy but clear. Rifle season starts October 10th.

Good luck,

James
Andy Young
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up on Fish Lake. We ended up braving the winds in central Washington and going to Mazama. We went up high (10,500') and got into nice, smooth air. Was blowing 15-20 kts on landing, so not too bad, and right down the runway.
Even got tailwinds both ways (went low on the way back). Co-pilot flew all the way both ways (except for take-off and landing) which we have found is a great preventative to getting sick.
Flyhound
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad you didn't get to spend some time on the west side of the Cascades. Winds are typically calmer here, and temperatures a bit more moderate (both on the hot and the cold ends of the thermometer). This country has some magnificent flying destinations. Here's hoping you get to visit a bunch more on your way home. Gastons on the White River in Arkansas is always a must stop for me when I fly across the country.
Andy Young
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have flown around that area too, quite a bit. Just not in the cards for this trip. I'm heading to Colorado, so no where near as far east as Gaston's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Airports, Airparks and Flying Destinations All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: