FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MX7-180C project
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MauleEnvy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armascher wrote:
project is coming along. The crank was good in the o-360 so I'm looking for a prop. There was one avialable from a member who contacted me...not sure if it still is. Is it worth going down the road of a longer F/P on field approval? sounds like equal performance with less cost..any thoughts out there..

Your best bet is to go with the MT prop. It’s a tough pill to swallow financially but a great prop and eliminates the RPM restriction the 0-360 has with the Hartzell.

If you do go MT, do some weight and balance calcs first as the 2 blade will drop 20lbs off the nose. The 3 blade MT drops 10ish pounds. Take too much off the front and you will likely be out of aft CG before you hit useful load. Relocating the battery to the firewall like the 160hp fixed pitch Maules will probably be likely solution with the 2 blade MT if you go that route. Same story going fixed pitch. You’ll lose weight on the nose and aft load capacity.
armascher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted the MT folks and reponse I got was that they are still working on an STC. I wont hold my breath. 14k is quite a bit more than I want to spend as well.
MauleEnvy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armascher wrote:
I contacted the MT folks and reponse I got was that they are still working on an STC. I wont hold my breath. 14k is quite a bit more than I want to spend as well.

Did you deal with Flight Resource? They will do a Field Approval for install on the 0-360.
armascher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went direct to flight resources. Maybe they're no longer getting approval? not sure. On a lighter note the Lycon ovehaul dyno'd at 203. Hartzell will be fine I'm sure. Other than rpm restriction and weight are there really any other downsides? Im guessing the 180hp Maules will be stuck with the fewest STC's for ....ever
armascher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: 29" Air Hawks or downgrade? Reply with quote

The project is about done and will be flying soon. I'm looking for input on tires. Current configuration has 29" Air Hawks on 10" ABW. They are heavy and I have the 0360 with CP prop.. I have two questions really:

1. Is the (ground)handling more docile with the 29" tires?

2. Does the increase in deck angle for takeoff make up for the added weight of the tires?
andy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had 31" Alaskan Bushwheel tundra tires on my MX-7-180 since 2016. The ground handling isn't significantly different than the 8.50x6.00 tires that I had before but I'm much more conscientious about not spinning around on pavement for sharp turns now. The tundra tires wear a lot faster when you do that. I also use the grass to take off and land wherever possible. At $1,800 per tire, I want them to last as long as possible.

I lost about 10 mph in cruise at the same power settings due to the bush wheels. I think they added about 32 lbs more weight than the 8.50s. It doesn't really bother me since the total time difference between 100 mph and 110 mph isn't that much except on very long flights.

The increase in deck angle was very noticeable as was the much higher step location getting into the airplane. I put a wedge shaped seat cushion in to improve visibility over the nose and it works pretty well, although I still have to do small s-turns to see clearly in front of me while taxiing. I think takeoffs are a bit shorter with the bush wheels due to the higher angle of attack. The tail seems to come up sooner with forward yoke than when I had it on 8.50s. Landings are a lot better with the bush wheels at 12 psi and I don't worry as much about the stress on the landing gear bolts since the larger, softer tires take up a lot of the shock.
armascher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: 29" Air Hawks or downgrade? Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Andy. I have heard that the larger tires run at lower psi tend to make landings better. I have flown a super cub on 31's and the difference between it and my 170 (on 800's) was laughable. The cub was much more docile to land, no bounce whatsoever vs even an ounce of extra energy in the 170 could make things interesting. But that could be several different factors, not the least of which... it was a super cub. So, when you say that the 31's on the Maule make landings better, does that include the ability to suck up a little more energy on touchdown(i.e. prevent bounces)?...or does it just smooth out the rough spots if landing on bumpy strips.
Flybrian1950
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: 29's and 10-10 wheels Reply with quote

I have a nice set of ABW 31's in the hangar that came off a supercub that lived on grass, and I think I have a set of the 75D 6" Cleveland wheels for the 31's, and a set of discs and perhaps calipers if you have the single pucks.

I decided to look for a set of 29" on 10-10 ABW wheels, instead of running the 31's on pavement.

PM me if you are interested
andy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armascher, the 31" tundra tires at 12 psi help a lot to prevent bouncing. You can still bounce if you come down too hard, but it's nothing like the 8.50s. The 31s also smooth out rough surfaces. They take a lot of the shock out of landing and bouncing over rough surfaces that would otherwise transmit to the gear and oleo attach bolts so it extends their lives as well.

ABI says that minimum pressure in the 31s is 8 psi and maximum pressure is 16 psi. I've run them at 10 psi but they wobble a bit on paved surfaces, especially in a turn. If I was going to land on sand, I might run them at 10 psi.
Andy Young
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:

ABI says that minimum pressure in the 31s is 8 psi and maximum pressure is 16 psi. I've run them at 10 psi but they wobble a bit on paved surfaces, especially in a turn. If I was going to land on sand, I might run them at 10 psi.

I run mine at 6 psi, occasionally lowering to 4 psi, but I do land on fairly rough surfaces quite often.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: