FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MXT Mods? Tires and Prop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BradleyP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: MXT Mods? Tires and Prop Reply with quote

I’m slowly concluding year 3 of MXT ownership...and still removing bugs from my teeth from my constant grins.

I’ve exhaustively searched this and other forums in search of my answer, but I could have sworn I’ve read about field approvals of the following:

1) A fixed-pitch prop upgrade that was field approved that offered comparable performance to the CS version.

2) Big tires. I want my cake and want to eat it too. I love the Nosedragger despite the constant haranguing I get from the purists, but hey, it’s mine. But really, I would like to go with 800’s or 850’s on the mains and the 700 on the nose. The good news is, I can salvage a 700 from one of my newer mains to do the trick. I hear you have to flip the four bolts on the nose to make that work.

I would like to go to the FAA with the most information possible in the hopes that our kinder/gentler FAA would allow me to make these mods to the plane. I hear if I can provide information about prior field approvals, it makes the process move much quicker.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
Hale-Yes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also looked for a legal way to put larger tires on my MT for many years with no luck. There are STC's available for other makes of aircraft like the Cessna 206. I have never seen a field approval for the Maule for larger tires but they are likely out there. Does anyone know of one? or two? Very Happy
Dale Smith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just successfully got a field approval for 26' good years on my M5.

I had 4 examples of the same thing, still had to jump through hoops with the FAA. I had to include the Data that showed the demonstrated torque in comparison to the bolts that hold the backing plate on.

Grove has a calculator on their website that goes over all that. If you want to go to the FAA without an example of previous approval that would be a good thing to include.
Duane
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bradley,
I have heard of people who have done that with the 7:00 on the nose. Yes, you would have to reverse the bolt direction on the torque plate. As far as approval, I don't have any ideas there.

duane@mauleairinc.com
chris_01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1) A fixed-pitch prop upgrade that was field approved that offered comparable performance to the CS version.

how would that work? I'd be interested, too.
Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who regrets not getting a CS instead of a FP I'm curious as to why you want to change in the opposite direction?

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843
Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a T series Maule with 7's in the front and 8.5's on the mains. Inverted bolts on the front. Don't know if it had paperwork, but it still seemed to fly OK. Noted at the Johnson Creek Fly In in years gone by.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Last edited by Mountain Doctor on Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Hale-Yes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of T models as you describe, but I have never seen one or heard of anyone talking about having a field approval for the larger tires. If anyone knows of one I would sure be interested. It's something that I would like to try. In this FAA CYA universe that we live in, compiling copies of a few field approvals seem to help our FAA friends to overcome their fear of putting their name on anything except the back of there paycheck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: