FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Spar replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnmo61

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Spar replacement Reply with quote

Anyone replace just the spar in their wing?
I'd like to pick your brain. I might be replacing my rt wing rear spar on a m4-220c.

Please call me at 724 513 2886
Thanks
John Morelli
Mog
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on your time frame and handiness, you are likely better off looking for a new wing or even a set of wings. You are allowed to install M5 wings on the M4 which will open the market a bit more. Seems like a set of wings shows up about once every 2 months or so.

Otherwise, you can do it assuming you can get the correct spar material from Maule. They changed the spar sometime between the M4 and M5 as best I recall. So if you have an older wing set you may be SOL already unless you find a salvaged spar. But anything is possible right!?!
johnmo61

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maule has the m5 spar which they said will work. All the dimensions are the same except the spar cap is thicker. They have it all drilled out with new fittings. The thing i would have to do is just drill the spar caps for the top and bootom skins.

Im looking for someone that has done this job, so to pick their brains on what to do or not to do.

My biggest question actually is rigging the washout on the saw horses and making sure the spars are also lined up lateral with the fuselage before i start drilling the spar caps. I'm using my original skins.
Mog
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are built flat from the factory. You dial in the washout with the struts. There are a few people that have built them with washout built in and thicker skins.
TimB
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have PM me
crbnunit
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a big job and it is going to be time consuming. I had to open a wing to replace a few ribs. Not sure how many actual hours but it took about a week all told. There is a great potential for additional damage reacquiring repairs after a slip drilling out the old rivets or driving the new ones... And driving the new ones usually requires help.

I really want to add auxiliary fuel tanks but I am not keen on reopening the wings to do it. I'll probably look for another set instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Mx, Repair & Technical questions All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: