FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Garmin GA35 GPS Antenna Mounting Location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Gizmos for your Maule (and you)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maulem5210c

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Garmin GA35 GPS Antenna Mounting Location Reply with quote

Hoping you all are starting to have a great spring,
I'm getting ready to mount a Garmin WAAS GPS Antenna and wonder where did you install yours and does it work well there. I have the drawing from Maule which puts it on top of the wing like at station 57" or so.
Thoughts?
Alan
andy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top of the wing. It gives you a clear view of the sky and a good ground plane.
Old Piper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy,

I recently place my G35 where the old antenna on the Right Wing was, just outboard of the wing root. Great directional location, low profile and effective. Also easy routing of coax.

Tom
andy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 12" from the wing root on the top of the wing is best to avoid having to fish a coaxial cable through too many wing ribs. It's also good to have as short a run of RG-400 cable as possible to minimize signal loss. There needs to be a little slack in the cable but you don't need a 20 foot run, which is often what comes with these units. Shortening the cable requires someone who does a good job installing RF connectors with the right tools so it doesn't cause all kinds of signal loss problems. GPS units operate at 1227.6 and 1575.42 MHZ. At that frequency even a minor connector installation defect can seriously degrade the GPS received signal level.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Gizmos for your Maule (and you) All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: