FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Maule mechanics in Eastern Ontario

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Maule CFIs & Mechanics in your area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rv8bldr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject: Maule mechanics in Eastern Ontario Reply with quote

Hey folks

I have just bought an 1979 M5-235C out in Alberta. Between work commitments and weather I can't pick it up until early April and fly it home (just west of Ottawa). Once I get it here, I'll need to find an AME (Canadian version of the A & P) who is familiar with Maules to do my annuals and the like. Any suggestions?

I'm new to this whole certified aircraft thing and it will be hard not to just jump in and do my own maintenance like I did for 13 years on my RV-8. I've got finish my scratch built 4pl Bearhawk because paying for someone to work on my airplane is going to drive me nuts Smile

Cheers all
RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
Bearhawk 4pl - Under Construction
Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Maule mechanics in Eastern Ontario Reply with quote

rv8bldr wrote:
I've got finish my scratch built 4pl Bearhawk because paying for someone to work on my airplane is going to drive me nuts Smile

I’m with you, brother! I foresee mine being a looooong project, though. So, I’ll be flying this Maule for some time, I suspect.
Andy Young
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the rules in Canada, but in the U.S., you can work on your certified aircraft without being an A&P, as long as you have an A&P who will sign off the work. They have to be "supervising" you, but no where is this defined as them standing there looking over your shoulder. The rules do say that they need to be available to answer any questions and provide guidance. Cell phones work great for this. If you haven't already, I suggest developing a good relationship with an AME who will come to know and trust your work, giving you more and more latitude over time to handle some things yourself, with them inspecting and signing off your work. Of course, you do need to pay them something for that, but it should still save you quite a bit.
rv8bldr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Andy

That was going to be the plan, and I was hoping they were already familiar with Maules so that they know what to look for or how to fix unique things.

Thanks
RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
Steelroamer
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to be coming across Canada with it my mechanic in thunder Bay is very familiar with the Maules, he maintains mine and at least 3 others that I am aware of, and you will more than likely be stopping there for fuel anyway. If you want let me know and I can get you his contact info.

Ian
rv8bldr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ian

TB is going to be our overnight stop (I hope). Although I have aux tanks on the aircraft I don't have aux tanks for my bladder Smile

The plan is Lethbridge-Brandon-TB, overnight, TB-around the lake to Sudbury-Arnprior.

The aircraft is in good shape, so I don't need anything right now, but if you want to PM me his contact info (or post it here, up to you) that will be a little insurance if I have an issue

Thanks a bunch
RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my m4 from a ame that has a shop at the Gatineau airport. He owned it for many years and did a complete rebuild on it. He may take you on? Pierre Heroux is his name. Aviation H.P. Is his business name

If you stop at kenora. 807-407-2263 is my number

Kelly
rv8bldr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome information, Kelly, thank you!

I'll keep your number handy when I travel through your area.
RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Maule CFIs & Mechanics in your area All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: