FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
My first post

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> HOW TOs...Board Status & MX, User Self Help (board related)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dazza

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: My first post Reply with quote

Hi all just getting to know the system
Looking for information on the best tire profile for my Maule MX7180b
Tire size fitted 8:00 x 6:00
Manufacturers have different groove patterns. Is there a difference. Or should I be adding a new post in the technical section?
Rolling Eyes
Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard!

I'll answer here, and let the moderator move it to the tech section. Smile You may also consider changing the title to reflect the topic of tires so it's more easily found in searches.

The REL shows that 7.00x6, 8.00x6, and 8.50x6 are permitted:

http://mauleairinc.com/pdf/required_equip_list.pdf

The physical sizes vary a bit between manufacturers, but I imagine any of them will work. The groove patterns also vary by manufacturer and model, based on what I've read here and on BackcountryPilot.org. Some tend to sling debris more than others, from what folks have said. If you do a lot of off-airport flying, that might be important to you when considering what you may be tossing into your prop.

I'm still in my first year of ownership on my 180A, and have Airtrac 850s on mine. I haven't spent a lot of time off-roading with it, though. Just landed on the grass a few times.

~Chris
Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, we know that the search on this forum is less than optimal. But Google does crawl this forum, and you can target your searches to this site only pretty easily. I wrote a how-to post for that here:

http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5103

We've had some pretty good tire discussions here in the past.

~Chris
Dazza

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Chris
I have been landing mostly on grass but have also done quite a bit of outback flying in another aircraft.
We have a plant seed here called by various names Catseye is one dried spike up to one inch long and a base that makes it stand up. Loves tires especially worn ones. Usually in short dry grass
Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! That sounds painful!

I think there are a couple of Kiwi Maulers around here, too, that could give you some more regionally specific guidance on tires.
maules.com
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recommend the Goodyear 8.50x6 which will raise the nose of your plane a tad and give a better angle of attack for shorter takeoffs and landings.
The Goodyear has only 4 grooves (less rock chip throwing), is much tougher and longer wearing than the McCreary though a bit more expensive.
Michelin also make an 8.50x6 with only 4 grooves.
The 8.50 is a bit taller and a tad wider than your 8.00 which help absorb bumps and spread better over gopher holes though they are a coupl knots more draggy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> HOW TOs...Board Status & MX, User Self Help (board related) All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: