FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Triple Tree Aerodrome (SC00) 2014 Flyin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Airports, Airparks and Flying Destinations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flyhound
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Triple Tree Aerodrome (SC00) 2014 Flyin Reply with quote

OK, I'm a lazy bugger. I did a full trip report on this year's flyin at the Triple Tree Aerodrome (SC00) over at the backcountrypilot.org website. Rather than re-write my whole post here, I'm just going to post a link to that discussion. I did fly my Maule (MX7-180C) to the event and I parked next to a pristine MXT-7-180. It was a fabulous trip and I HIGHLY recommend adding this to your bucket list if you haven't been to this magnificent destination already!

https://www.backcountrypilot.org/community/forum/latest/triple-tree-aerodrome-15889
crbnunit
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the little red/white, low wing, retractable tail dragger? Is that a Globe Swift? Pretty place. A C-46 and a P-51! Life is good!
Flyhound
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a bunch of Globe Swifts there, and most were highly modified with sliding canopies, sticks and bigger engines. They still don't have much room, or useful load, but they are good looking!

crbnunit
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always like the little Swifts. I'd love to have one to play with.
aero101
100+ Posts

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say with right engine prop combo, they're like miniature P-51's... Yes, they are a fine looking little airplanes!!!

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
andy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flew my MX-7-180 down to Triple Tree on Saturday for the afternoon. One of the volunteers said that there were about 500 airplanes there - a bit down from the 800 last year due to the variable weather. They published new Oshkosh-like approach procedures but two yo-yos ignored them when I was arriving and cut in front of me.

Hot, humid and I had to dodge thunderstorms over the mountains on the way back but it was fun to see all the cool airplanes. I think they were selling P-51 rides for about $700/20 minutes.

I wish they had the event in the cooler Fall weather. It would be more enjoyable and weather would be better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MaulePilots.Org Forum Index -> Airports, Airparks and Flying Destinations All times are GMT - 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: