180 Constant Speed or Fixed Pitch??

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
bigmal

180 Constant Speed or Fixed Pitch??

Post by bigmal »

I am considering a purchase of an MX-7 180A. I was really wanting a B model with a constant speed prop. Is there that much of a difference in performance between a fixed prop versus a constant speed? I hate to pass on a really nice airplane due to it having a fixed pitch prop.

Ralph

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Then jump on it.
It's just one more thing not to worry about

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

In my opinion, there really is that much difference. But you know what opinions are like. A fixed prop is similar to having one gear on a bicycle. If you pitch a fixed prop for good short field performance, then it won't cruise worth a darn and vice-versa.
Now the ultimate short field airplane probably would not have a constant speed due to the weight.
The strong point of a Maule is it's flexability in my opinion, that is it's a good STOL airplane with a decent cruise speed. A fixed pitch prop reduces that flexability somewhat.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

I would like to have a Constant Speed prop on mine but it works well with the
fixed. never had anything else so I am happy bein' ignerent... :lol:

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

"bein'ignerent" is sometimes smarter ..........LOL :D :lol:

DEPENDS ON WHAT IT COST

Hay A64, How about "one speed on a vibrating bed"....lol..lol
Last edited by 210TC on Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

aero101
100+ Posts

MX7 Prop

Post by aero101 »

What you looking for in the airplane? I've got a larger McCauley fixed pitched on mine and really like it performance wise on floats, wheels and skis. It's lighter, less maintenance, and performs like a banchee, but don't have the cruz performance of a constant speed. The stock fixed pitch leaves something to be desired but does ok until you fly floats, heavy...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

The one thing that shut's the Cub drivers up cold is when I mention that I throw 4 people and luggage with 6 hours of fuel, file IFR and put 135 in the true airspeed block :shock: I couldn't do that without that constant speed and those upside down flaps.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

But what it really comes down to is what you need in an airplane and how much can you afford or are willing to spend. Everything airplane wise comes down to that.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

One very good thing about MAULEPILOTS.ORG is we have fun and you get a dubble barrel shot (info) for the same cost.

Whatever you buy the best part will be telling all of us about it. And of course us telling you what we think....HAVE FUN

bigmal

Post by bigmal »

Thanks for the replys. I am still shopping but it seems there are more 180 fixed pitch airplanes available than the constant speed. I have flown a 235 Maule with the constant speed but I have not flown a 180. I have flown an RV-9 with a fixed pitch but I guess that would be comparing apples to oranges. I know the constant speed has many advantages but as I said, I did not want to pass up a nice Maule 180 only because it had a fixed pitch prop. Thanks again.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Sometimes, while your looking around you loose a good opportunity.
That being said, Johan at Maule Mods has a 180 constant speed proped Maule.

N9657

Post by N9657 »

I have a 180 constant speed prop and think that it might mean more because of the 180 as opposed to 210 or 235. You can get a little better performance when you can adjust for power as opposed to cruise. As was stated earlier its like having a variable speed transmission. It means more as horsepower is less.

Mountainmauler

Post by Mountainmauler »

Bigmal: good topic to bring up! It has brought me to look down at my left knee and invision myself flying 8), and thinking of how i use the blue knob.
N9657: Man, i agree with you! esp. as you lose HP having that variable speed transmision is great. I often go sight seeing and hitting 14500 is not odd up here and it nice to go from cruising 2200 rpm at 12500 or 13k and if you need to summit over something you can change gears to 2300-2350rpm and still see health VSI numbers.
The only 180 i flew in i was in the back just enjoying the view and not sitting up front in a small plane. Never paid attention to flying part :oops:
2004 M-7 235c

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

If money isn't a problem and you can afford it go with the constant speed prop you won't be sorry. Theres nothing like changing gears. The little extra weight the prop makes up for by far.

mars

Post by mars »

Mine is a MX7-180 with a constant speed prop becuase that's what I wanted. Did not think much about performance difference between the two untill went flying with a friend who flies a MX7-180 with a fixed pich prop. After landing, HE said that he wished his was a constant speed so that he could get that little extra performance out of it.