Control Rigging

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

It may have been one of those taking-it-to-the-mechanic-who-charges-you-to-learn-on-your-aircraft activities. Which is fine. If they're going to be my long-term caregivers, then it's good that they have some knowledge of the system. They did follow the manual word for word as I suggested to them per your recommendations. 11.25 hours invested.

I do like the way it flies now. I haven't taken a longer trip and opened it up to see how fast it goes yet. That's this weekend.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Andy Young wrote:You may still need sme differential wash to get it to fly right. Every airplane is different, and none of them are perfect. But you need to start with everything at spec., THEN adjust as needed to get the desired effect. So yes, adjust that wash so they are the same, then go fly.
After flying for a while after the re-rigging, it still flies a smidge right wing heavy. As Andy suggests, I'm going to see if I can let out a bit of the washout on the right side to get the wings level while the shop and I put the skis on next week.

How sensitive is the adjustment for this? Will one full turn on the fork have an enormous reaction? Should I go a half turn at a time?

It's barely heavy when the flaps are zero. However it's pretty noticeable when at cruise and -7 degrees.

Thanks!
Chris
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Try adjusting the right flap down a tad using the pushrod adjustment.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

maules.com wrote:Try adjusting the right flap down a tad using the pushrod adjustment.
Certainly a little less work :)
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Yes, takes 10 minutes. Two jam nuts and turn the barrel and count the turns. You will see flap move.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

You might use an electronic level to see where the flaps are before you do. Push them up hard before you measure. One turn or less will make a difference.

Undaunted
100+ Posts

Post by Undaunted »

After flying for a while after the re-rigging, it still flies a smidge right wing heavy.
Thanks!
Chris[/quote]

Try putting 6 gal of 100LL in the outboard opposite fuel tank. Much cheaper than another AMU? :D
1999 M7-235C

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Undaunted wrote:Try putting 6 gal of 100LL in the outboard opposite fuel tank. Much cheaper than another AMU? :D
Ha! How true is that?!
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

While installing the skis today, I adjusted the right flap one full turn of the push rod in the down direction as suggested. Perfect :)

I’ll get a longer flight in and see how it works out with flaps reflexed. But first flight today, worked great.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A