Door Mods

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

Andy Young wrote:MauleMechanic,

I certainly don't doubt your skill and experience, so this question is purely for my own education:

Why use snips as opposed to a cut-off wheel?

When I did mine, I taped the painted side along the cut line (to prevent paint chipping) and used a thin cutting wheel on an "air dremel". Worked great, and didn't burn the paint, as I had feared it might, but I moved slowly. Perhaps it doesn't always work that well.

What am I missing?
When doing these tasks daily, weekly etc eventually the fast moving cut-off wheel can "bite" back. Plus, I don't buy the tool supplies, I just use what we have :D

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

I certainly don't doubt your skill and experience, so this question is purely for my own education:

When I did mine, I taped the painted side along the cut line (to prevent paint chipping) and used a thin cutting wheel on an "air dremel". Worked great, and didn't burn the paint, as I had feared it might, but I moved slowly. Perhaps it doesn't always work that well.

What am I missing?
He gets paid by the hour....lol

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

Hottshot wrote:

What am I missing?
He gets paid by the hour....lol
"You Can't Rush This" "It Takes Longer Than You Think" :oops:

Oh and... "That's the price you pay for good quality hand crafted work"

akflyr

Seaplane doors

Post by akflyr »

How difficult is it to install seaplane doors on an M7? Is there an STC or done by field approval

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Re: Seaplane doors

Post by Hottshot »

akflyr wrote:How difficult is it to install seaplane doors on an M7? Is there an STC or done by field approval
I am working toward STC in the future but am getting 337 FA at this time. So it can be done.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I bought an extra set of door frames with that very project in mind... Any idea when the STC doors will be available and at what cost? Will they be kit form or complete doors? Anyone thought about using aluminum instead of steel for the door frames?
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

crbnunit wrote:I bought an extra set of door frames with that very project in mind... Any idea when the STC doors will be available and at what cost? Will they be kit form or complete doors? Anyone thought about using aluminum instead of steel for the door frames?
Plan is to sell a kit or Mod your doors, unless I have the plane to "Fit" them. Aluminuim would be nice and that has crossed my mind as well

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Maule Seaplane Doors are non-structural, no welding required, etc, and is a MINOR Alteration only requiring logbook entry... The feds actually used a Maule Seaplane Door example up here years ago to distinguish between Major / Minor Alteration and what requires field approval when they came up with the new field approval process... so you can do a field approval if you'd like, but actually they should decline to accept processing based on it being Minor Alteration, and per their rules, not even a 337 required, just logbook entry... You are simply removing a non-structural sheet metal covering and installing a substitute non-structural covering.... Also I think you'll find that the chromolly square tube is lighter then the aluminum square tube of like strength. Welds are stronger and less prone to cracking. Also most every door is slightly different on different aircraft and you usually end up bending, etc to fit when swapping around, as well as having to adjust hinges....
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

To distinguish between "seaplane" and observer doors...seaplane doors are hinged on top and swing up with aid of hydraulic strut. Observer doors are just plexiglass substituted for aluminum on the vertically hinged doors. I think (hope) what Wup is talking about are the swing up doors.

Count me in Wup if you need a guinea pig airplane. I'm recovering this fall. Perfect time.

Paul
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

No matter what people say the FAA is not one entity ...... What they say in AK often gets funny looks here in the lower end of the world..... If it is a minor alteratoin in AK thats great but not so here.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Seaplane or observer doors would either be Minor Alteration in my book, of course it's dependent upon how you hinge the top for the seaplane style. So long as you do no welding, it'd be a Minor Alt.... I've done several different varieties up here, on various airplanes and have used piano hinges or lugs similar to Maule hinge lugs, used gas charged shocks to hold open, or latched similar to Supercub system... Again, this is totally none structural change, and the Maule is a simple one to do with existing upper door cutout structure on airframe side. That's my take, and never had any issues with FSDO Inspectors, just need to properly document in logbook... :shock: I think you could very easily win the argument with Inspector with definition of Minor / Major requirements no matter where you're at? We have that problem to some extent up here as well with varying opinions from inspectors, but bottom line is there's a very broad definition with all kinds of wiggle room that they are required to abide by, like it or not.... Sometimes necessary to point out that definition to them, and suggest they get second opinion from engineer type? See FAA Definition FAR 1 and you tell me?

Major alteration means a repair:
(1) That, if improperly done, might appreciably affect weight, balance, structural strength, performance, powerplant operation, flight characteristics,
or other qualities affecting airworthiness; or
(2) That is not done according to accepted practices or cannot be done by elementary operations.

Minor alteration means an alteration other than a major alteration.
Last edited by aero101 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Jim if you would please call Boise FSDO and Spokane FSDO and fix their way of thinking I would greatly appreciate it....

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Wup,
I have enough to do dealing with locals myself sometimes so you'll just have to deal with 'em yourself... I quoted definition according to FAR 1 on previous post, and key words are 'appreciably affect'.... Guess that's one of main advantages of going experimental, then you don't have o worry about any of it!!
Jim

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

aero101 wrote:Wup,
Guess that's one of main advantages of going experimental,
Yeap, if not for a resale situation.....I'd go experimental ASAP!

Curtis
100+ Posts

Mods

Post by Curtis »

I would LOVE to go experimental. All the experimental guys around me have far superior navigation, engine monitoring, electronic ignition, electronic fuel injection and etc... I know one guy that has been running a Lightspeed electronic ignition since 1996 with ZERO problems. He started out running just one unit. A few hundred hours later his mag failed in flight and he put on a second Lightspeed ignition. At 2100 hrs he rebuilt his engine and has done nothing to his ignition system. By the way, his first Lightspeed was installed when the engine was originally installed it had 2100 hrs with no problems and he is still running it. Don't know of any mags like that!
Curtis