Door Mods

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Door Mods

Post by MauleMechanic »

While recovering N56604 I thought I would share building up doors.

Last edited by MauleMechanic on Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Great pictures Brian!

I really enjoy your informative posts. They help us know what goes on behind the scenes.

I am thinking about having observation wondows put on both of my doors. The paint is in mint condition and I was wondering if it will get chipped when the new hole is cut.

How long would it take MF to do both doors?
MXT-7-180A Comet

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

Rob,

I will take a photo of my doors. I would say it took about 10 hrs total for 2 front doors. I did not damage the paint and the job turn out great. I taped over the paint with a good masking tape and used a die-grinder with a thin cut-off wheel. I was amazed how much visibility was increased by installing the patroller door. I touched up the cut edge with a brush.

Tom
Tom K.

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

Have u ever seen one made from aluminum square tubing instead of steel? What is the minimum thickness of plexiglass u think will hold up?

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

Brian
This is so helpful, I am about to start working on my doors as well. Are the outer skins available from the factory? I was thinking of cad drawing new ones and have them laser cut.

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

John Ashcroft wrote:Brian
This is so helpful, I am about to start working on my doors as well. Are the outer skins available from the factory? I was thinking of cad drawing new ones and have them laser cut.
Dont waste your time on the drawings. Each door is custom fit and no one part is the same as another. Seldom is anything in the exact same place as the other! :shock:

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

I spent a day cutting hinges, bending door frames, and even cut apart one door frame at a corner to fix a tight spot. I'm sure my doors have been beat on in the plane's 4,800 hours, but when I got it the factory doors on my M5 fit about like a screen door on a submarine.

Exactly what is entailed in upgrading to the new style door latches, and have you done this? Any pics?

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

pilot wrote:I spent a day cutting hinges, bending door frames, and even cut apart one door frame at a corner to fix a tight spot. I'm sure my doors have been beat on in the plane's 4,800 hours, but when I got it the factory doors on my M5 fit about like a screen door on a submarine.

Exactly what is entailed in upgrading to the new style door latches, and have you done this? Any pics?
David Maule custom makes each set of latches himself. He came down to Maule Flight and showed me and Kit how to install them. I have installed one set and Kit a few sets. Once you get the hang of it's ok, but........

I will try to take some photos if I install this set on N56604. Who knows what I will be doing next week!!!!!! Suppose to go pick up an airplane near Athens, Ga at some point in the near future.

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

Brian

I can easily make a template of the door skins and draw a CAD plan myself, then have the aluminium laser cut to shape.
Can the door skins be made from a single piece or do they need to be in three as you have shown and what thickness aluminium are you using?

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

John Ashcroft wrote:Brian

I can easily make a template of the door skins and draw a CAD plan myself, then have the aluminium laser cut to shape.
Can the door skins be made from a single piece or do they need to be in three as you have shown and what thickness aluminium are you using?
Ok, I mis-understood I think. Sure, You can do this with your own doors to fit your frame the way they came off your doors or to combine them for a one piece door panel......BUT....make sure you add or remove for any areas needing improvements. Yes, we make one piece door panels with a router on a jig and I think it is now standard for factory airplanes.

Old doors are .020 or .025 and we replace with .032

John Ashcroft
100+ Posts

Post by John Ashcroft »

I was thinking of removing the skins, make sure the frames fit nicely by adjusting and/or bending if necessary, and fit the skins.
Cutting with a router sounds a good way to go
Thanks Brian

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

Today was a slow process. Kept running into problems. No parts to fit the observer window in the pilot side so I started on the co-pilot side. First things both hinges had to be cut and expanded to pull the frame away from the door posts. Too much pressure causes the skin to bind and work loose as other problems. Then the center tube was rusted out and had to be replaced. Maybe better progress in the morning.

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

MAU MAU wrote:

I am thinking about having observation wondows put on both of my doors. The paint is in mint condition and I was wondering if it will get chipped when the new hole is cut.

MXT-7-180A Comet

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

MAU MAU wrote:
MAU MAU wrote:

Unsure of the hours quoted by MF for that particular work.

I did not get much done today due to various projects. For me this is typical and time can go out the window. Trying not to mess up a new paint job takes more time in reality but not on paper 8)

Akafrank

Post by Akafrank »

How about installing flip out windows? Is that fairly straight forward?

Has anyone done it?