Oil Temp wire

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Redhawk
100+ Posts

Oil Temp wire

Post by Redhawk »

Was trying to troubleshoot my erroneous oil tem reading on my M6, and in so doing accidentally broke off this strange little plastic/ resin like connector that was on the wire running from my oil temp probe.
I noticed before it broke it had failed a continuity test between its 2 soder terminals but maybe it's supposed to function like this?

Does anyone have a idea of what this is?

Thanks

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Old melted plastic tiewrap maybe?
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Redhawk,

I'm having trouble picturing what you're describing, but I also have an M-6 at Boulder, so if you like, we can look at yours then mine together and perhaps figure it out. Mine is a 235; is yours?

You can call me at 720-320-8265
Andy

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

my io360 continental had one of these on my sensor too... and I broke it taking the nut off.. oops. anyways it appears to still work just fine.

isnt the sensor just a resistor that varies with change in temperature? Therefore it should have continuity, and resistance should be verified at certain temp.. correct me if im wrong

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Just dip in in boiling water, check indication temp... It is not resistor, but simply a capillary reaction to heat...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Redhawk
100+ Posts

Oil temp

Post by Redhawk »

Got it figured out - that wierd looking little connector was bad - replaced it with a standard crimp connector and temp works fine!