Garmin G5s as complete replacement solution

Camera's, GPSs and other Gizmos (please let me know if you find an existing thread to be moved into this NEW section)
CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

Gbarrier and Captnkirk

Cue me in on that show n tell day. I want to be present for that one.
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Will do ...vacuum pump was going to need replacement and all the gyros are original. I was adding a 430 so I bit the bullet and added the G5. When it get done I’ll have some parts for sale here before I put them on eBay. AI ,DG Narco transponder King 24 audio panel Garmin 250 gps a couple of 8.50 tires and tubes . Hopefully it will be done by March as we are waiting on some of the parts.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Mike M

Post by Mike M »

I’m late to this thread. I have two G5’s coupled to a 430W and an S-Tec 30. Been a great set up. I also have a GNX 375 driving a garmin 106. Going to eventually replace the 106 with another G5. I have no issues or regrets with my G5’s.

[/img]

Mike M

Post by Mike M »

I’m late to this thread. I have two G5’s coupled to a 430W and an S-Tec 30. Been a great set up. I also have a GNX 375 driving a garmin 106. Going to eventually replace the 106 with another G5. I have no issues or regrets with my G5’s.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I have a Garmin GI 106B CDI being driven by a Garmin GTN 650. I'm replacing the GI 106B and the vacuum driven DG with a Garmin G5 HSI next month. Looking forward to getting rid of the unreliable DG and not having to manually slave it to my compass every 5 minutes. I couldn't afford to replace the vacuum AI at this point so I put in a brand new vacuum pump. If the entire electrical system fails I'll still have the AI and 4 hours of the G5 HSI with the backup battery.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Andy, we have done a couple of installations where we replaced the turn coordinator with the old AI and installed two G5s. You have to keep it for rate if you have an old Century autopilot. Guess it might give a little of old shoe backup type of comfort for a while but it won't take long to realize it is just extra baggage. With the nav equipment you have you are going to love that HSI with those nice pink and green needles.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Gary, my plan is to hang onto the vacuum AI and vacuum pump for a year or two until my wallet recovers from the G5 HSI installation. Then I'll replace the vacuum AI with a G5 AI and get rid of the vacuum pump. The vacuum DG that I'm replacing now is original equipment from 1986 and needs replacement soon. As long as I still have at least one vacuum driven instrument, I needed a more reliable vacuum pump. My existing pump had well over 500 hours on it so I put in a new Tempest vacuum pump that is rated at 1000 hours replacement time. I have a backup RC Allen electrical AI if the vacuum AI fails, so I will still have a separate AI from the G5 HSI. Of course, I still have the iPad/ForeFlight/Stratus 2i with AHRS but it's not legal for primary attitude reference under IFR.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

andy
Site Admin

Re: Garmin G5s as complete replacement solution

Post by andy »

I flew my Maule to PeeDee Avionics in Cheraw SC (KCQW) yesterday to replace the original vacuum DG with a Garmin G5 HSI. The vacuum DG is vintage 1986 and is drifting a lot. Rather than spend a lot of money on an overhaul and end up with the same bare-bones instrument, I decided to replace it with a Garmin G5 HSI. There are many advantages to the G5 as an HSI:
  1. No more gyroscopic precession. The G5 comes with a solid state IMU for compass data.
  2. AI combined with HSI. You can switch the G5 to either mode. It contains an AHRS.
  3. Primary external CDI for the GTN 650. Allows removal of the GI 106B as the CDI and lightens the aircraft slightly.
  4. 4 hr backup battery in case of electrical system outage.
  5. Full HSI in place of DG gives much better situational awareness.
At some point I'll replace the vacuum AI with another G5, which will allow me to get rid of the entire vacuum system and lighten the aircraft by about 20 lbs. My approach to the upgrades is to do them gradually as instruments need replacement. The vacuum AI is working well and I just replaced the vacuum pump. Now I will have four ways to view aircraft attitude: vacuum AI, backup electric AI, Appareo ESG/Stratus 2i AHRS/iPad-ForeFlight and Garmin G5 AI page.

It will be interesting to see how easy the G5 HSI is for ILS and LPV approaches. The glide slope indicator is a vertical slide bar on the right side of the display instead of cross hairs. The localizer and glide slope cross hairs on the Garmin GI 106B that is being replaced are very intuitive. Vertical slides and an HSI CDI will take some getting used to.

I'm also having them do an IFR systems certification and GTN 650 software update, if available.

I've used PeeDee Avionics for all my avionics work since 2016. They do quality work at a reasonable price that is less than most other shops that I've used.

Here's an aerial photo 30 nm NE of Charlotte Douglas airport on my way to KCQW. Flat farmlands for the most part but it was cool and smooth at 3,500 with a 6 kt headwind and occasional low clouds.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Njacko
100+ Posts

Post by Njacko »

I recently replaced a vacuum AI and a King HSI with dual G5s. No regrets. Super clear display and easy to use.

With the optional OAT sensor you get wind aloft and baro-corrected altitude. This enables GTN VNAV which gives a glide-slope indication on the G5s (and time to top/bottom of descent and vertical speed required on the GTN) for non-precision approaches and for unpublished cloud breaks (which we are allowed do in some countries).
MX-7-180 N280SA

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Anybody consider the GI 275? My plane is VFR only with a single GNC 250. I have an appointment at Pee Dee in April for a GNC 355 install with the addition of an audio panel and 106 CDI. I was eyeballing the G5 as an HSI instead of the 106 but from what I’m hearing the install cost would be prohibitive. Just wondering if the GI 275 vice the 106 would be within the realm of possible.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

If you're thinking of installing a GI 106B, I'll have one for sale when my G5 HSI installation is finished around 7/27. I haven't set a price yet. Send me a PM if interested.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

I'm hoping to do dual GI275s once the funds are saved up to go along with a GTN650Xi. The 275s will be more expensive than the G5s both parts and labor. I would think the G5 would be a better solution than a 106. Maybe more expensive but way more useful and money better spent.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Here's my new G5 HSI installed by PeeDee Avionics in Cheraw SC. It has a lot of features which will take me a while to learn. I've never had a HSI before although I've flown a few aircraft with one. I can see where IFR approaches would be easier. The PFD page shows a lot of stuff but it's kind of cluttered. Since I have other attitude indicators including Appareo ESG/Stratus 2i/iPad/ForeFlight, a vacuum AI and an electric AI, I'll probably use it most as a HSI.

Andy
1986 MX7-180

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Looks great Andy! Having flown a bunch with HSIs I think you will love it. You will wonder how you ever flew IFR without it, particularly on an approach. Since I am considering the same upgrade eventually, why the two ADIs? A requirement or a preference?

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Not a requirement unless you have an old Century autopilot and two G5s. Then you need the old AI for rate info.