VA Beach airshow 16-18 May Pungo

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

On Sunday and friend and I flew to 42VA. This is the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach, VA. It isn't backcountry, but it is a grass strip. They are only open for visiting aircraft twice each year. Once when they put on their WW II airshow (last Sunday) and once when they put on their WW I airshow (coming up in October). They have some really spectacular aircraft on display and flying. The world's only flying de Havilland Mosquito flew in the show, as did their Spitfire, the Hawker Hurricane, the B-25, a Corsair, a PBY Catalina and a host of other cool aircraft. One that surprised me was an ME-262 that did a fly-over. They can't land that WW II jet on the grass field, and it was too high for me to get good pictures of it, but I'm looking for some from a friend with a big lens. It was a delightful day, and 3 Maules showed up for the event. That was pretty cool in and of itself! They also had a lot of reenactors on the field in German, French, British and German costumes. Strangely, there were more German reenactors than any other group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWXYYJ5Ee-I
Last edited by Flyhound on Wed May 21, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Link no worky?

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Try it now - it should be all fixy fixy
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Yep. Super cool!

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

The Military Aviation Museum Airshow at Virginia Beach went off without a hitch although there was a bit of a crosswind coming in. A similar airshow in Georgia wasn't so lucky. A Corsair was crunched when it ran off the runway at PDK and flipped. The pilot walked away, but the plane is a mess.
http://allthingsaero.com/airshows/artic ... ent-at-pdk