Maule tug

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
andy
Site Admin

Maule tug

Post by andy »

We've had a few discussions on tugs for handling Maules on the ground, but I couldn't find any post that talked about the Minimax Boss. Here's a link to a YouTube video of one towing a Maule https://youtu.be/sgSTS-N9_Kc. In my never-ending search for a better tug, I'm looking at one as a replacement for my gas powered Taildragger Dragger. The Dragger is a pain to use since you have to juggle it around the tailwheel and then lift up the airplane to lock the rear caster. Going up or down an incline can result in popping the tailwheel off the pegs unless you secure it with a cargo strap.

The Minimax Boss looks like it is easier to position around the tailwheel and lift it onto a peg with the lever arm. I don't know how secure the tailwheel is on an incline, though. I would think you'd want the Milwaukee M28 cordless drill to power one of these, which is an extra $289.95 bringing the total cost to $1689.90 not counting shipping. That's comparable to the Taildragger Dragger.

Has anyone got any experience with the Minimax Boss?
Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Andy I have an aerotow it is battery power by a couple of lawnmower batteries. It is easy to manuver and does'y weigh to much so you can pick it up if need be. I can push out of my hager and up that hill a good bit so it has enough power to move the Maule. When I get mine back from the transponder install come by and you can play with it to see if it will do the job. I think it would be fine over at your hanger. I bought this one second hand from Wup it was well worth the price. here's the web site
http://www.aero-tow.com/
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Couldn't resist

M5

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Mine is one horse power also. Two can play this game. ;-)
Kirk Johnson

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

How about this?

Image[/img]
Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Andy my dog only helps if he goes flying with me. For real I just got back from the adsb install I will be home till Wed and go back to work Friday. If you want to come play with that aerotow come by.
Kirk Johnson

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Is that transponder not cool?

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

yep it works good I like having the traffic got the certifacation flight done on the way home. I got company coming by tomorrow but maybe free this weekend may do a bbq run
Kirk Johnson

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Sorry I missed coming by your place on Wednesday, Kirk. I'd like to see the ESG transponder install and your finished doors. I'll probably go with the ESG in my Maule after Spring fire season is over in May. After this last fire season, it's a toss up whether I'll last through the next one.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Andy I'll be home till next Wed so if the weather holds swing by. I've been cutting fire wood try and stay a year ahead but that doesn't always work.
Kirk Johnson

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

In our area, ESG refers to an "Extra Special Golden" Ale brewed by Terminal Gravity.
Let Freedom Prevail